Jason Escape is an escape artist and mind reader from Boston Massachusetts who is out there making a living doing what he loves, while hanging upside down, bound in a straight jacket!
“The good in me seeks the good in you.”
—Joel Gardner (Jason’s Father)
Jason takes us to a point in his life where he followed a path that ended up leaving him in another city with nothing left wondering what to do next. It had sucked the life out of him leaving him depressed and creatively drained.
Every day having his art and family makes him a success. Being grateful on a daily basis is being successful.
Unique selling point:
Truly cares about the people he works with and for and makes sure it shows.
What’s working for him business-wise?
Collaborating with other performers and keeping an open mind.
Interesting story from the road:
Jason tells us about a comedian that suddenly died performing his act.
Other topics touched upon:
• Jason shares and goes into great detail his strategy for transitioning into performing full time. Hint: It’s not as romantic as you’d think. “Often times, the worst thing you can do is to quit your day job in order to become a performer.”
• Tells his journey of performing in a band and how he was trying to make it as a musician before magic, mentalism, and escape.
• Talks about how he tries to bring “real” magic into everything he does, which is ultimately personally connecting with people and leaving them better off than they were before they met.
• Talks about the resistance he had from family and friends and what that might look like for you.
• Tells us how he pays it forward, and likens it unto a “mitzvah” which by definition is an entirely selfless act.
• Talks about a short documentary done on him called “Hanging Downtown.” (See the trailer further down.)
When bridging the gap between your day job and your dream job, don’t give up your day job right away. It’s okay to do both. The balance will shift on it’s own.
Click here for more info.
Recommended books and resources:
Note: Many of the links in this section are affiliate links, meaning we earn a small portion of any sales. If you’re enjoying our podcast and decide to purchase one of the recommended resources or books, please consider using our affiliate links to help support the work we’re doing here at the Successful Performercast. Thanks!
Performance Specific Book
The Inner Game of Music—Barry Green
Non-Performance Specific Book
How to Win Friends and Influence People—Dale Carnegie
Where can we find Jason?