Learn how to bring the value in this interview where I talk to Dean Hankey, the DEAN of Success! We also talk about testimonials and he gives us some great practical business tips!
Dean Hankey, The Dean of Success, is a magician, public speaker, author, trainer, and marketing expert out of Reno, NV.
This guy has been successful in so much, it’s hard to know where to start! Dean has performed in casino show rooms like Harrah’s, Hilton, Bally’s Grand and Peppermill, corporate engagements for top companies like IBM, Apple, Kodak, and American Express, for famous celebrities like Robin Leach and Bill Cosby, and he’s been featured on a number of TV stations like ABC, NBC, CBS, BBC, Fox News, and CNN.
Through his extensive performance career, he’s gained tremendous insight into business and marketing techniques which he now teaches others to help grow their businesses and generate real world results.
1. Never leave the site of a human interaction without creating value.
2. Leverage everything.
3. If you breathe, record it.
While he was on tour, he performed a show that he thought just didn’t play well with the audience. When the client came back to talk to him he said, “Wow! I can’t believe how wild the audience was!”
Perspective is everything.
Performing in theme parks and casinos. Those are literally “five star” shows to perform for.
Talking About Testimonials
Testimonials are the strongest tool you can do for your outbound marketing.
Script to get a great testimonial: “If you were telling your best friend how much fun you had at my show, what would you tell them to get them to come see my show?”
Business Tips from the Dean of Success
• Build relationships
• We do business with people we know, like, and trust
• What would you do for your best friend that you wouldn’t do for a customer? Serve as if you’re serving your best friend.
• Make custom videos for your inquiries. With smart phones, we have no excuses not to.
Other Topics Covered:
• Great ways to add value in our daily interactions.
• Be seen, be good.
• People don’t pay for “good magic,” they pay to be entertained and transformed.
• Being homeless.
• Relationship marketing.
• Find ways you can serve people and fill needs.
• Present yourself as a solutions provider.
• The barometer of success is not always money.
Success Satisfaction Survey – Word Document – Listen to the show to find out how to use this.
The Dean’s List – Facebook Group
Example Personalized Video:
Video: Robert Cialdini – The 6 Principles of Influence
Video: Robert Cialdini – Science Of Persuasion
• Be mentored and mentor.
• Be of value to others.
• Always be in the learning process and teach what you’ve learned to someone else within 24 hours.
Recommended books and resources:
Note: Many of the links in this section are affiliate links, meaning we earn a small portion of any sales. If you’re enjoying our podcast and decide to purchase one of the recommended resources or books, please consider using our affiliate links to help support the work we’re doing here at the Successful Performercast. Thanks!
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini
How to Persuade People Who Don’t Want to be Persuaded by Joel Bauer
Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber
Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh of Zappos
Where can we find Dean Hankey?
The Dean’s List – Facebook Group