In this interview, Christopher Lyle and I talk all about restaurant magic! He offers some great insight into landing gigs, keeping them, and working with the restaurant staff as a team.
Christoher Lyle, also known as the guy in the yellow suit, is a magician, comic, daredevil, and balloon twisting genius! Some have described him as a “modern day cartoon.”
Based out of Dallas, TX, he offers 10 different types of shows that he performs for audiences of literally all ages at private parties, restaurants, fairs, festivals, and anywhere else you can think of.
He’s taken his act across the globe, on television, and has also become a much sought-after coach for other performers wanting to improve their acts and he was also a columnist for the Magic Menu.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. – Ferris Bueller
All About Restaurants
On the Magic Cafe, it’s been said that Christopher Lyle can walk into any restaurant he wants and walk out with a gig. He details his strategy in this post at The Magic Cafe.
Christopher offers some insights into performing at restaurants.
• How he qualifies restaurants before he approaches them.
• Which restaurants he will and won’t go after.
• How he pitches restaurants in person.
• Free performance incentive.
• Keeping your gig once you have it.
• Why he doesn’t do contracts with the restaurants.
• Promoting outside gigs at his restaurants.
• Business card magic.
• Signage at the restaurants.
• Talking to the restaurant owner about card on the ceiling.
If you’ve ever wanted to work in restaurants but just didn’t know how to get started, or have been working restaurants for some time now and need a fresh perspective on how to change it up, then THIS is the book for you.
“Slightly Delusional” is available as a digital eBook for sale for $30.00USD. Pick up your copy here!
How he ended his run at a pizza joint after ten years.
His ten-year run at the pizza joint mentioned above.
Biggest Business Challenge
Learning how to play well with others, especially online.
Other Topics Covered:
• How he started getting gigs after moving to Dallas.
• Perform as much as possible for as many people as possible.
• Diversifying your work.
• His online image, mainly on the Magic Cafe.
• Targeting your marketing efforts.
Recommended books and resources:
Note: Many of the links in this section are affiliate links, meaning we earn a small portion of any sales. If you’re enjoying our podcast and decide to purchase one of the recommended resources or books, please consider using our affiliate links to help support the work we’re doing here at the Successful Performercast. Thanks!
Jeff Hobson’s Multimedia CD on running a successful business, only available directly through Jeff.
Where can we find Christopher Lyle?